Thursday, June 19, 2008

There has always been a lot of fascination surrounding my decision to have my children enrolled in an alternative school. When people find out that my kids don't go to the traditional brick and mortar school their reaction is usually the same. They raise an eyebrow, look my children over to see if they're mutants of some kind and then nod at me with a compassionate, "poor you" kind of nod. After people get to know us a bit more and notice that my kids don't have horns and that I am completely normal (those of you that know me well had better not laugh at that) they start to ask questions. They realize that my choice to homeschool/virtual school my children is one that is brave and that works for me. I love my children more than I ever thought possible and the fact that as their mother I have this opportunity to mold and sculpt them just a bit longer is one that I treasure. Yes, it gets tiring. Yes, I find myself pulling my own hair and balking at the amount of dishes made by a family of six who are home almost all the time. But at the end of the day I am so grateful for this chance to snuggle with kids an extra moment, to bake cookies for math and to let my children explore their own unique talents.

1 comment:

The Bach 10 said...

You did a great job on your blog. I am so impressed. I can relate to all of it. I like the part of over organizing things to look just right. I have learned to keep it simple on some things, so I actually have time for the important things. Meal planning, cooking with mom, reading with mom, painting, bike rides, mowing the lawn, putting in the garden, playdates, chores, writing grandparents, pulling weeds, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, hair cuts, oh don't forget k12, etc, etc, etc. I feel I am constantly rewriting how we do it. Main point though is to keep doing it. I enjoy the challenges homeschool has given me. I have learned much from reflecting often of myself and how I run the show. I also have learned the importance of my children having a say on how I run the show. I need all the help I can get, and I want them to want to be in the show.